Sign up for our newsletterUseful Cyprus Information Limassol Marina Currency Converter Cyprus Property News
- Cyprus Property Market Improves
- New Breast Cancer Treatment On The British National Health Service
- Water Tunnel From Turkey To Occupied Areas Of Cyprus Completed In September
- Cyprus News Round Up
- European Commission Winning War On Horse Meat Scandals
- 4 Million Women Ordered To Have Genital Mutilation In Mosul Iraq
- Kouklia Arts And Crafts Centre In Cyprus
- Cyprus Tourist Office Proposes Cuts In Airport Taxes
- How To Pay Your 2014 Cyprus Immovable Property Tax
- British Power Cuts Compensation Raised
- British Expats Selling Their Homes In The Occupied Areas Of Cyprus
- Cyprus News Round Up
- Electricity Authority Of Cyprus To Charge Interest On Unpaid Bills
- Planes Carrying The Bodies Of The Malaysian Plane Crash Due In The Netherlands 1600 Dutch Time
- Lithuania Joins The Eurozone on 01 January 2015
Backlash In Occupied Areas Of Cyprus To Statement "There Is No State Called Cyprus"
Republic of Cyprus Flag
Reactions to Erdogan’s allegation: You have destroyed Cyprus
Under the title “If there is no Cyprus, you have destroyed it”, Turkish Cypriot daily Afrika newspaper (07.02.13) refers to Turkish Prime Minister Erdogan’s allegation that “there is no state called Cyprus” and reports that Erdogan, “whose words are not taken seriously into consideration anymore because of his inconsistency, played the same disc again” and forgot which country his army had invaded in 1974.
“If there is no state called Cyprus, then where the hell your troops had been sent in 1974”, wonders Afrika’s editor-in-chief, Sener Levent in his daily column today. He goes on and wonders, inter alia, the following: “[Had they been sent] to Singapore, to Korea? The land of which country they had invaded? Whom they have shot? Whom they have taken prisoners? Whom they have buried in mass graves? Onto the head of which country they had thrown bombs? …”
Moreover, in its “Letter from Afrika” column, the paper writes that during the Justice and Development Party’s (AKP) period in Turkey, the occupied Cyprus lands have been looted more than ever, more population than any other period has been transferred from Turkey, crimes have increased more than ever and more businesses than even have closed down.
Meanwhile, Turkish Cypriot daily Volkan newspaper (07.02.13) reports that Oktay Vural, vice president of the Nationalist Action Party’s (MHP) parliamentary group, criticized yesterday Turkish Prime Minister Erdogan for his statement that “there is no state called Cyprus”. He recalled that in statements made by Erdogan on 2 October 2004 during a meeting of AKP’s parliamentary group, the Prime Minister had said that Turkey had only one option, adding that they would definitely secure Turkey’s accession into the EU. Vural read out the conditions which are included in the framework document for Turkey’s accession negotiations and added, inter alia, the following referring to Erdogan:
“You are the one who signed all these in the framework document of the negotiations. You have drawn the framework. The negotiations in this framework are open-ended, and the membership is not guaranteed. You will cast anchor in EU ports, you will recognize Cyprus... You are the ones who have turned Cyprus into a part of the negotiations with the EU, who have related [the issues]… Yes there is no such state, but you have handed over to the Greek Cypriots a state named ‘Cyprus’…”(I/Ts.)PIO