Back to overview

Villages Of Cyprus - Lageia Village

Bookmark and Share

Information on Lageia Village

Lageia Village                                                                   Photo © CyprusExpat.co.uk

Lageia Village, also known as Layia Village, is located in the Larnaca District of Cyprus. The village lies close to Ora, Vavla, Kato Drys and Choirokoitia Villages.

The village has a long history dating back to the Venetians rule. There are several old olive trees in the village which are believed to have been planted by the Venetians.

Lageia Village developed in it's early years as a major transit place for people travelling between Limassol and Larnaca, being ideally situated halfway between the two cities. The village provided accommodation and food in the local inns.

The original location of the village was further up the mountain, until the lack of a regular water supply meant the village had to relocate to it's present site. The new location lies in a valley with a regular water supply. In 1709 the Lageia Village Old Spring was built so the villagers had easier access to the water. The water was collected for local consumption as well as for the livestock and irrigating the crops.

Lageia Village is built at an average height of 300 metres above sea level. The height of the village, and the location, offers a cool climate during the summer months and a mild climate during the winter months. The climate was ideal for farming and the village prospered from the cultivation of crops and livestock.

The village suffered a major fire 200 years ago with most of the village destroyed. The old village centre was next to the current location of the Panagia Eleousa Church and the village was rebuilt a little further where the new village square is located. It is quite normal when people renovate homes on the outskirts of the village to find old burnt wooden beams from the fire.

The census of 2001 recorded the village population at 25 people and the population today is slightly lower at 20 people.

The Panagia Eleousa Church was built in 1872 and is to be found on the outskirts of the village. The village cemetery lies next to the church. The church was earlier called the Agios Georgios Church.

Lageia Village                                                                   Photo © CyprusExpat.co.uk

Lageia Village                                                                   Photo © CyprusExpat.co.uk

Lageia Village                                                                   Photo © CyprusExpat.co.uk

Lageia Village                                                                   Photo © CyprusExpat.co.uk

Panagia Eleousa Church                                                 Photo © CyprusExpat.co.uk

© CyprusExpat.co.uk

CYPRUS VILLAGES              CYPRUS VILLAGE PHOTOS               CYPRUS VILLAGE FESTIVALS

Bookmark and Share