Back to overview

Villages Of Cyprus - Agios Theodoros Village

Bookmark and Share

Information on Agios Theodoros Village

Agios Theodoros Village                                                                      Photo © CyprusExpat.co.uk

Agios Theodoros Village is located in the Larnaca District of Cyprus and is not to be confused with a village of the same name in the Troodos Mountains. The name of the other village is Agios Theodoros Pitsalias Village, named after the region where it is located, in order to distinguish between the two villages.

Agios Theodoros Village lies close to Kofinou, Skarinou, Choirokoitia, Tochni, Psematismenos and Maroni Villages. the village also lies close to the sea, which is a short distance of 7 kilometres away. The village is named after the patron saint of the village, Agios Theodoros (Saint Theodoros).

The village is built at an average height of 85 metres above sea level, which allows for a mild winter climate, but means the village is subjected to the hot temperatures of the long summer months.

Agios Theodoros Village was a mixed village with Greek Cypriots and Turkish Cypriots having a near equal population over the years, with some small fluctuations in some years. The population reached it's highest level in 1973, with 1191 registered residents. The official census in 2011 recorded 663 residents, with by far a mainly Greek Cypriot population residing in the village. The population of the village has remained constant till this day.

The original village was called Pentasxinon  Village and was located further below the present site, in the Pentaschoinos River valley. The village suffered from a devastating earthquake in 1491 and many of the homes and other buildings were destroyed. The surviving villages fled the village in fear of more earthquakes and stayed away for a very long time. Gradually, the villagers returned and rebuilt the village.

Pentasxinon Village was attacked many times from the pirates that operated in the area and a small number of people decided to leave the village and seek a safer place higher in the hills. Two communities were created, one acting as a lookout and the larger community was formed into a new village, called Agios Theodoros. The new village was chosen as it offered protection from the pirates as it was surrounded by high hills. The location also offered protection from the weather.

The three communities lived side by side, but eventually Pentasxinon Village was abandoned, due to the frequency of the attacks, but also due to the many diseases created by the stagnant waters of the Pentaschoinos River. The attacks on the villages in the area subsided and the lookout community in the hills was no longer required and so was abandoned, with the villagers moving to Agios Theodoros Village.

Agios Theodoros Village is built on the banks on either side of the Pentaschoinos River, a once gushing river carries large amounts of water to the coast nearby. A large bridge joins the two sections of the village. The village benefited from having a regular supply of water for consumption and for irrigation. The climate change, with the severe lack of rainfall in Cyprus, has meant that the riverbed has remined dry for most of the year, with water flowing only in the event of heavy rainfall in the mountains. The dry riverbed has been resurfaced and there is now a community park and sports facilities, with festivals held during the year.

Agios Theodoros Village has the ideal climate for the cultivation of citrus fruits. The fertile valley surrounding the village has many orange, lemon and grapefruit trees. The village also has olive and carob trees. Wheat is the main crop grown.

The emblem of the village is the protected Ambelopoulia bird, a migrating bird that stops off in Cyprus in their thousands, to rest before continuing on it's migration. The bird was once a local delicacy, but it is now illegal to hunt, with the village also organising an annual festival dedicated to the bird at one time.

The Agios Theodoros Church lies in the centre of the village. The church construction began in 1957 and was completed in 1969. The location of the church was the site of the original Agios Theodoros Church, a Gothic church built in the 17th or 18th century. The Agios Theodoros Village Mosque is also to be found nearby.

Along the road from the village to the Agios Theodoros Beach, there is an old venetian watermill with several arches. 

The Agios Theodoros beach is popular with the villagers and visitors. The pebble beach has facilities for children, as well as restaurants, where locally caught fish is served.

Agios Theodoros Village                                                                      Photo © CyprusExpat.co.uk

Agios Theodoros Village                                                                      Photo © CyprusExpat.co.uk

Agios Theodoros Village                                                                      Photo © CyprusExpat.co.uk

Agios Theodoros Village                                                                      Photo © CyprusExpat.co.uk

Agios Theodoros Village                                                                      Photo © CyprusExpat.co.uk

© CyprusExpat.co.uk

CYPRUS VILLAGES              CYPRUS VILLAGE PHOTOS               CYPRUS VILLAGE FESTIVALS

Bookmark and Share