Back to overview

Villages Of Cyprus - Stroumbi Village

Bookmark and Share

Information on Stroumbi Village

The Old Medical Centre In (Pano) Stroumbi Village                Photo © CyprusExpat.co.uk

Stroumbi Village, also known as Stroumpi Village, is situated in the Paphos District of Cyprus.

The village lies close to Polemi, Tsada, Theletra, Kathikas, Akoursos and Psathi villages.

Stroumbi Village is divided into two parts, Pano (Upper) Stroumbi and Kato (Lower) Stroumbi. The reason for this is the old Pano Stroumbi Village suffered a large earthquake, registering 6.0, on 10 September 1953. The earthquake destroyed most of the village houses as they were built very close and on top of each other. When the powerful earthquake hit, it caused a domino effect on the houses, and there were many fatalities.

(Pano) Stroumbi Village                                         Photo © CyprusExpat.co.uk

The remaining villagers left the ruins of Pano Stroumbi Village and slowly made their new home forming a new village one kilometre further down the hill. The new village is officially called Kato Stroumbi Village.

Pano Stroumbi Village still bears the scars of the earthquake with many ruins, including the old medical centre and the building which housed the community council and courthouse. The old village is slowly being regenerated with many of the old ruins being restored and new development projects being constructed.

Kato Stroumbi Village is built at a height of 450 metres above sea level. Pano Stroumbi Village is built at a slightly higher level, at 500 metres above sea level.

(Pano) Stroumbi Village                                         Photo © CyprusExpat.co.uk

The village dates back to the Frankish rule period and was a fief. The village acquired it's name, according to one legend, from the head of the fief, a man called Stroumpos. The other legend states that the village acquired it's name from the shape of the surrounding hills, which have rounded tops. This was called Stroumpoula, which translated to rounded.

(Pano) Stroumbi Village                                         Photo © CyprusExpat.co.uk

The population of the village consists of about 600 permanent residents, with most of the residents living in Kato Stroumbi Village. The village had a much larger population earlier, as it was the main administration centre for the surrounding villages. The main administration of the village is now based in Paphos. Paphos is also now the centre for employment for many of the villagers, as well as the local SODAP Kamanterena Winery, which is located just outside the village. The winery operates as a cooperative, with the local farmers selling their grapes to the winery.

Stroumbi Village was one of the first villages in Cyprus to have electricity. In 1931, the local flour mill generated electricity for the operation of the mill, and the surplus power was sold to the residents of the village. The village only had use of the power during the working hours of the mill.

The Old Community Council And Courthouse In (Pano) Stroumbi Village   Photo © CyprusExpat.co.uk

The village always had a problem with water, and large scale agriculture was not feasible for the village to survive. The village thus developed highly skilled tradesmen such as carpenters, blacksmiths, shoe makers, leather goods manufacturing, stone masons etc.

In 1965, Stroumbi Village received a regular water supply from the Ezousa River and stand pipes were erected in the streets, providing the first water supply system for the village.  

The village did however manage to cultivate some vineyards around the outskirts of the village. The grapes were used in the production of wine, and Zivania. The surplus was either sold or used for local consumption. A small amount of apples, pears and cherries were also produced.

Agia Paraskevi Church In Stroumbi Village                       Photo © CyprusExpat.co.uk

Agia Paraskevi Church is located on the Pano Stroumbi Village side of the main road which divides Stroumbi Village. The church was built in 2011 in the traditional Byzantine style. The church holds a special service on July 26 to commemorate the Saint Agia Paraskevi.

Stroumbi Village had at one time 3 wineries, where all the surrounding villages sent their grapes for processing into wine. The wineries have now been demolished except for one, where the ruins are still visible beside the main Paphos to Polis road.

Stroumbi Village holds it's famous Dionysia Wine And Grape Festival in August each year, and is one of the earliest wine festivals in Cyprus. The festival is named after Dionysus, the Greek god for the grape harvest, winemaking, wine and fertility.

Agios Georgios Church in Stroumbi Village                            Photo © CyprusExpat.co.uk

Agios Georgios Church is located in Pano Stroumbi Village. The original church was heavily damaged in the 1953 earthquake, which caused widespread damage to Stroumbi Village. The church was hastily repaired in 1958 but to a very poor quality, which has led to the church needing further repairs over the years.

Agios Georgios Church holds a service once a month and also holds a special service on 23 April to commemorate Saint George's Day.

Pictures Of Stroumbi Village

Images Of Stroumbi Village

Photos Of Stroumbi Village

Stroumbi Village Images

Stroumbi Village Photos

© CyprusExpat.co.uk

CYPRUS VILLAGES              CYPRUS VILLAGE PHOTOS               CYPRUS VILLAGE FESTIVALS

Bookmark and Share