Back to overview

Villages Of Cyprus - Polystypos Village

Bookmark and Share

Information on Polystypos Village

Polystypos Village                                          Photo © CyprusExpat.co.uk

Polystypos Village, also known as Polystipos Village, lies in the Pitsilia region of the Nicosia District of Cyprus, and is the third smallest village in the district.

Polystypos Village                                          Photo © CyprusExpat.co.uk

The village lies close to Chandria, Livadia, Alithinou, Alona and Agros Villages.

Polystypos Village                                          Photo © CyprusExpat.co.uk

Polystypos Village is built at an average height of 1100 metres above sea level, making the village one of the highest in Cyprus. The height of the village allows for a refreshingly cool climate during the long hot Cyprus summers. The winter months can be quite cold though and heavy snowfalls occur frequently.

The population of the village was recorded at 173 permanent residents in the 2001 census.

Polystypos Village has maintained it's traditional Cypriot architecture with it's narrow stone streets and old stone houses. The homes are built from local stone, also with local wood used for the beams, windows and doors. The roofs are covered in red tiles.

Agios Nikolaos Church In Polystypos Village                          Photo © CyprusExpat.co.uk

Agios Nikolaos Church is the dedicated saint of seamen and has been nominated the honour of being the protector of the village. The church was built in 1908 on the original site of an earlier church dedicated to Agios Nikolaos. The old church was built in 1832 replacing  an older one roomed church built on the same site in the 15th century dedicated to Agios Nikolaos.

The village celebrates the memory of Agios Nikolaos with a festival each year on his name day, on the 6th December.

Apostolos Andreas Church In Polystypos Village                   Photo © CyprusExpat.co.uk

The Apostolos Andreas Church, also known as the Apostolos Andreas Chapel, is located 300 metres north on the outskirts of the village. The church was built in 1869 on the original site of the Apostolos Andreas Monastery. The monastery was the highest church authority in the area until 1700, when the construction of more churches in the area made the monastery less dominant.

A few years later the monastery was severely destroyed by an earthquake. The earthquake was followed by an outbreak of a deadly disease, which led to the eventual evacuation of the monastery.

Polystypos Village                                          Photo © CyprusExpat.co.uk

Polystypos Village                                          Photo © CyprusExpat.co.uk

Polystypos Village                                          Photo © CyprusExpat.co.uk

Polystypos Village                                          Photo © CyprusExpat.co.uk

Polystypos Village                                          Photo © CyprusExpat.co.uk

Polystypos Village                                          Photo © CyprusExpat.co.uk

Polystypos Village                                          Photo © CyprusExpat.co.uk

Images Of Polystypos Village

Polystypos Village In Pictures

Pictures Of Polystypos Village

Polystypos Village Photos

© CyprusExpat.co.uk

CYPRUS VILLAGES              CYPRUS VILLAGE PHOTOS               CYPRUS VILLAGE FESTIVALS

Bookmark and Share