Sign up for our newsletterUseful Cyprus Information
Villages Of Cyprus - Maronas Village
Information on Maronas Village in Cyprus
Maronas Village Photo © CyprusExpat.co.uk
Maronas Village, also called Marona Village, is a deserted Turkish Cypriot village located in the Paphos District of Cyprus. The village lies close to Pano Archimandrita, Prastio, Mousere and Souskiou villages.
The village is said to have acquired it's name from the Maronites that once lived in the village, and it is clear that there seems to be a reasonable connection there.
Maronas Village lies in the Dhiarizos Valley, keeping it sheltered from severe bad weather and has a very green landscape in the winter.
Maronas Village Bridge Photo © CyprusExpat.co.uk
The village is very difficult to access, as the water from a nearby river has washed away the road that once existed. The access is now from the main road, along a dirt track with lot's of loose stones, which can be very difficult to navigate with an ordinary car after a recent rainfall. In the event of recent bad weather, only a 4 wheel drive type vehicle should be used. Visitors will cross over a bridge to reach the village, which is clearly dated from 1944 and is still in good repair.
Maronas Village Photo © Cyprusexpat.co.uk
The village was abandoned in 1975 and has since remained deserted. There are no inhabitants in the village, shepherds use the village to shelter cows, pigs and horses in the old converted houses.
The village houses were built from mud, stone and wood, but are now in ruins. The houses, or what is left of them, are not fit for habituation as there are no roofs, doors or windows.
There is one Greek Orthodox Church, Agia Marina, in the village, which has been recently built.