Back to overview

Villages Of Cyprus - Archimandrita Village

Bookmark and Share

Information on Archimandrita Village

Archimandrita Village                                                           Photo © CyprusExpat.co.uk

Pano Archimandrita Village is the official name of the village. Archimandrita Village was earlier divided into two villages, Pano Archimandrita Village and Kato Archimandrita Village. The residents of Kato Archimandrita Village left their village due to isolation and moved to the nearby Pano Archimandrita Village. Kato Archimandrita Village is now a deserted village with many ruins.

Pano Archimandrita Village is located in the Paphos District of Cyprus and lies close to Kato Archimandrita, Souskiou, Mousere, Anogyra, Dora and Kouklia Villages.

The village acquired it's name, according to legend, from the 318 Holy Fathers who fled persecution in Syria and settled in the village. The leader of the Holy Fathers held the rank of an Archimandite, and thus the village took it's name from this leader.

The population of Pano Archimandrita Village numbers only 20 people, with many people having left the village to seek regular employment and education facilities. The village population in 1881 numbered 91 residents, in 1901 135 residents, in 1931 208 residents and in 1960 317 residents.

The village was a mixed village with Greek Cypriot and Turkish Cypriot residents.

The residents who have left the village have kept their homes and return on weekends, public holidays, school holidays and for the annual festivals held in the village.

Pano Archimandrita Village has two churches, the Agios Theodosios Church and the Chape of the 318 Holy Fathers.

The Agios Theodosios Church was built in 1900 and is the main village church. The church is located near the centre of the village next to the Pano Archimandrita Community Council building.

The Chapel of the 318 Holy Fathers is a small cave converted in to a small church. The cave has icons dedicated to various saints and has very old original frescoes on the inside walls. The cave has been declared a monument by the Cyprus Department of Antiquities. The cave also has on display the skulls of the 318 Holy Fathers, who were killed in the village during a religious uprising. The skulls on display are kept behind a locked grill as many were stolen over the years.

Archimandrita Village                                                           Photo © CyprusExpat.co.uk

Archimandrita Village                                                           Photo © CyprusExpat.co.uk

Archimandrita Village                                                                 Photo © CyprusExpat.co.uk

Archimandrita Village                                                           Photo © CyprusExpat.co.uk

Archimandrita Village                                                           Photo © CyprusExpat.co.uk

Archimandrita Village Images

© CyprusExpat.co.uk

CYPRUS VILLAGES              CYPRUS VILLAGE PHOTOS               CYPRUS VILLAGE FESTIVALS

Bookmark and Share