Back to overview

Neolithic Settlement Of Choirokitia In Cyprus

Bookmark and Share

Information on the Neolithic Settlement of Choirokitia

Neolithic Settlement of Choirokitia                         Photo © CyprusExpat.co.uk

The historic archaeological Neolithic Settlement of Choirokitia, sometimes spelt Khirokitia, is classed as one of the most important historical sites in the Eastern Mediterranean region. The settlement is held in such esteem, that it was listed on the UNESCO World Heritage List in 1998.

The settlement is located near the present village of Choirokitia, which lies in the Larnaca District of Cyprus. The settlement is situated near the coast about halfway between Limassol and Larnaca.

The settlement war originally discovered in 1934 by Porphyrios Dikaios who was a director of the Cyprus Department of Antiquities at the time, and six excavations were completed between 1934 and 1946. The excavation programme resumed again in 1976, when the French archaeological mission of the National Centre for Scientific Research undertook the excavation programme, which is still continuing today.

The settlement was first occupied from the 7th millennium BC until the 5th millennium BC. The settlers came from a land which is yet to be confirmed, but the circular houses they built look very similar to the historic Troullis buildings found in southern Italy.

Neolithic Settlement of Choirokitia                                               Photo © CyprusExpat.co.uk

The Choirokitia Neolithic Settlement lies in the Maroni River valley and is built along one of the sides of the valley. The settlement covers an area of 3 hectares. The settlers built circular houses made from mud bricks and stone, with flat roofs. The homes were the larger buildings, with smaller circular buildings used for storage.

The settlers survived on their livestock of sheep, goats and pigs. This was supplemented by hunting the local game and the growing of crops such as wheat and barley. There was also an abundance of fruit trees in the area, and pistachios, figs, olives and plums were also collected.

There is a reconstruction of the settlement at the foot of the hill. There are 5 reconstructed circular houses and parts of the wall used to protect the settlement.

Contact (00357) 24322710

Opening hours

Winter (16 September till 15 April) Monday - Sunday 0830 - 1700

Summer (16 April till 15 September)

Admission €2,50

There is no wheelchair accessibility to the settlement, due to the settlement being built in hilly terrain. There is wheelchair accessibility to the settlement reconstruction, which lies just behind the entrance.

© CyprusExpat.co.uk

CYPRUS INFORMATION ARTICLES      CYPRUS NEWS      CYPRUS VILLAGE PHOTOS

BUSINESS DIRECTORY        VILLAGES OF CYPRUS            CYPRUS VILLAGE INDEX

NEWSLETTER               CYPRUS VILLAGE FESTIVALS               CYPRUS PHOTOS

Bookmark and Share