Back to overview

Cyprus Towns & Villages - Pervolia

Bookmark and Share

Information on the village of Pervolia in Cyprus

Local Cypriot Kafenion                      Photo © CyprusExpat.co.uk

Pervolia village lies16 km from Larnaca

In the very ancient years, Pervolia used to be the rest place for the Kings and the rich people of the area. Pervolia, was named after its abundant gardens, meaning the rich in production fields and the thousands of productive trees.

Pervolia used to belong to the royal family of the Lousinianians during the Frankish Period, which lasted from 1191 until 1489. The last owner of this period was Charles Louzinianos, who was persecuted by King Iacovos the Fatherless because he supported Queen Charlotte. King Iacovos removed the ownership of Pervolia from Charles by issuing a decree.

During the Venetian Period, Pervolia was sold to the Greek family of Podokatares and the last owner was Ektoras Podokatoras (period 1489 – 1571).

In 1881, the residents of the village were 375. In 1960, the residents of Pervolia were 734, in 1993 they were 1144 and in the recording of 2001 they had reached 1920. In the summer, the village changes appearance since it is flooded by thousands of local and foreign visitors whereas more than five thousand people move around the village on a daily basis.

Source Wikipedia

CYPRUS INFORMATION ARTICLES      CYPRUS NEWS      CYPRUS VILLAGE PHOTOS

BUSINESS DIRECTORY        VILLAGES OF CYPRUS            CYPRUS VILLAGE INDEX

NEWSLETTER               CYPRUS VILLAGE FESTIVALS               CYPRUS PHOTOS

Bookmark and Share