Back to overview

Villages Of Cyprus - Drinia Village

Bookmark and Share

Information on Drinia Village

Drinia Village                                                                Photo © CyprusExpat.co.uk

Drinia Village, also known as Thrinia Village, is located in the Paphos District of Cyprus. The village lies close to Drymou, Lasa, Fyti, Simou, Agios Dimitrianos and Milia Villages.

The village is built at an average height of 550 metres above sea level, which provides a cool refreshing climate during the long hot summer months and a mild winter climate during the winter months.

The Drinia Village climate allowed for the village to prosper due to the cultivation of vineyards, which stretched as far as the eye could see around the village. The grapes produced were mainly used in winemaking and to a lesser extent to the production of Zivania. A small amount of the Cypriot delicacies of Zoutzoukos and Palouze was also produced.

Drinia Village also has a long tradition in the manufacture of Fitiotika, a traditional pattern of cloth originally based in nearby Fyti Village.

The name of the village, according to legend, came from the old Greek word of Drimia, meaning a small forest of oak trees. The location of the village had a forest of oak trees nearby, so this legend does carry some weight.

The population of Drinia Village reached it's peak in 1881, when the population was recorded as having 553 permanent residents. The census of 2001 recorded a population of 63 permanent residents. The collapse in the village population is typical of many villages in Cyprus, as many young people move away from villages of this type, due to the lack of education and employment opportunities.

The Agios Georgios Church is the main church of the village and was built in 1755. The church later required major repairs in 1842. The bell tower of the church collapsed during the earthquake in 1952 and was rebuilt in the following two years. Drinia Village was originally centred around the Agios Georgios Church and slowly expanded in all directions.

The Agia Marina Chapel is built on the original site of an earlier Agia Marina Church and the Saint Marina (Agia Marina) is celebrated each year in the church on the 17th July.

Drinia Village                                                                Photo © CyprusExpat.co.uk

Drinia Village                                                                Photo © CyprusExpat.co.uk

Drinia Village                                                                Photo © CyprusExpat.co.uk

Drinia Village                                                                Photo © CyprusExpat.co.uk

Drinia Village                                                                Photo © CyprusExpat.co.uk

Drinia Village                                                                Photo © CyprusExpat.co.uk

Drinia Village                                                                Photo © CyprusExpat.co.uk

Agios Georgios Church in Drinia Village                           Photo © CyprusExpat.co.uk

Agia Marina Chapel in Drinia Village                           Photo © CyprusExpat.co.uk

Drinia Village                                                                Photo © CyprusExpat.co.uk

Drinia Village                                                                Photo © CyprusExpat.co.uk

Pictures Of Drinia Village

Photos Of Drinia Village

© CyprusExpat.co.uk

CYPRUS VILLAGES              CYPRUS VILLAGE PHOTOS               CYPRUS VILLAGE FESTIVALS

Bookmark and Share