Back to overview

Villages Of Cyprus - Kato Moni Village

Bookmark and Share

Information on Kato Moni Village

Kato Moni Village                                               Photo © CyprusExpat.co.uk

Kato Moni Village is located in the Nicosia District and lies close to Agioi Iliofotoi, Mitsero, Agia Marina, Orounta and Xyliatos Villages.

The village is situated at the foot of the Koroni Mountain range and the River Serrachis flows nearby, providing a regular water supply.

Kato Moni Village is built at an average height of 400 metres above sea level. The height of the village allows for the cultivation of olive trees, vineyards and the rearing of livestock, mainly goats and sheep.

The village has a long history dating back to the Bronze Age, the main reason was the village location, which was in the middle of a mineral rich area. The village was originally ruled by the Knights Templars, later being ruled by the Order of Saint John of Jerusalem, also known as the Hospitallers.

In more recent times, the village was owned by villagers from the neighbouring villages of Fterikoudi, Platanista and Alona. The land was mainly used to cultivate crops and the rearing of livestock. The villagers had to spend a considerable amount of time in the area, so small houses were built to be used for accommodation. This was how the village began it's early life.

The village acquired it's name, according to legend, from the Greek word Moni. The pens which the livestock were kept were called Moni and there were two Monis, one in Fterikoudi Village, used during the winter months and the other in the village. The Fterikoudi Village Moni was at a higher altitude and was called the Pano Moni. The Moni in the village was at a lower altitude and was called the Kato Moni. The village then became known over time as Kato Moni Village.

The Agia Paraskevi Church is located on a hill overlooking the village. The church is built on the site of an earlier Agia Paraskevi Church, which fell into disrepair.

The Agioi Iliofotoi Church is located a short distance from the village, in the area where the Turkish Cypriot village of Agioi Iliofotoi Village was originally located.

The Church of the Saviours Transfiguration is located in the village centre. The church was built in 1880.

The Kato Moni Village Mill was originally built next to the Serrachis River in 1902, where the mill ground a variety of crops for the village and the surrounding villages. In 1983 the mill moved to the centre of the village, is still operating, and is now powered by electricity.

The population of the village reached it's peak in 1976, when the village population was recorded at 366 permanent residents. The census of 2001 recorded 311 permanent residents.

Kato Moni Village                                               Photo © CyprusExpat.co.uk

Kato Moni Village                                               Photo © CyprusExpat.co.uk

Kato Moni Village                                               Photo © CyprusExpat.co.uk

Kato Moni Village                                               Photo © CyprusExpat.co.uk

Kato Moni Village                                               Photo © CyprusExpat.co.uk

Kato Moni Village                                               Photo © CyprusExpat.co.uk

Kato Moni Village                                               Photo © CyprusExpat.co.uk

Kato Moni Village                                               Photo © CyprusExpat.co.uk

Agia Paraskevi Church in Kato Moni Village              Photo © CyprusExpat.co.uk

The Church of the Saviours Transfiguration in Kato Moni Village     Photo © CyprusExpat.co.uk

Kato Moni Village                                               Photo © CyprusExpat.co.uk

Photos Of Kato Moni Village

© CyprusExpat.co.uk

CYPRUS VILLAGES              CYPRUS VILLAGE PHOTOS               CYPRUS VILLAGE FESTIVALS

Bookmark and Share