Back to overview

Villages Of Cyprus - Kato Archimandrita Village

Bookmark and Share

Information on the abandoned Kato Archimandrita Village

Panagia Chryseleousa Church in Kato Archimandrita Village            Photo © CyprusExpat.co.uk

Kato Archimandrita Village lies close to Pano Archimandrita, Kouklia, Mousere, Dora and Anogyra villages. The village is located in the Paphos District of Cyprus.

The village formed part of the twin villages of Archimandrita and was a mixed village with both Greek Cypriot and Turkish Cypriot residents. The population of the village peaked in 1901 with 85 registered residents. The decline in the village population followed in later years, with 70 residents in 1911, 58 residents in 1946 and 41 residents in 1960.

The decline in the village population was attributed to a number of factors such as the lack of a school, employment opportunities, a lack of a decent road to the village and also a lack of a regular water supply. These factors led to a sense of isolation in the village and feelings came to a head in 1966, when the villagers asked to leave the village and move to what is now known as Pano Archimandrita Village, which lies close by.

The regular water supply from the Chapotami River and the Diarizos River played a major part in the early development of Kato Archimandrita Village and the remains of a water mill are still visible in the village. The village once formed part of a Royal Venetian Estate, with the venetian bridge nearby being the sole reminder from that early period. The water from the two rivers slowly decreased over time.

The name of the village is believed to have come from the 318 Holy Fathers who fled the persecution of an Archimandrite in Syria and settled in the village. The remains of a monastery in the village is thought to be associated with the Holy Fathers, which was used as their home and place of worship.

Kato Archimandrita Village is now very much an abandoned village with many ruins, which have decayed over time due to a lack of maintenance. The renovated Panagia Chryseleousa Church lies at the entrance to the village, with a small shrine next to the church with an icon of the Virgin Mary with the baby Jesus. The shrine is a place of worship for visitors and travellers to use when the church is closed.

The village was mainly built on the side of a large hill on the right hand side of the road leading through the village. The height of the hill gave protection to the village on one side and gave perfect views on the other sides, which enabled the villagers to spot attackers and gave them ample time to defend the village.

Kato Archimandrita Village                                              Photo © CyprusExpat.co.uk

Kato Archimandrita Village                                              Photo © CyprusExpat.co.uk

Kato Archimandrita Village                                              Photo © CyprusExpat.co.uk

Kato Archimandrita Village                                              Photo © CyprusExpat.co.uk

Kato Archimandrita Village                                              Photo © CyprusExpat.co.uk

Kato Archimandrita Village In Pictures

Photos Of Kato Archimandrita Village

Pictures Of Kato Archimandita Village

© CyprusExpat.co.uk

CYPRUS VILLAGES              CYPRUS VILLAGE PHOTOS               CYPRUS VILLAGE FESTIVALS

Bookmark and Share