Back to overview

Villages Of Cyprus - Alektora Village

Bookmark and Share

Information on Alektora Village

Alektora Village                                                Photo © CyprusExpat.co.uk

Alektora Village is located in the Limassol District of Cyprus for local government administration, whilst the village falls under the religious authority from the Bishop of Paphos. The village lies close to Platanisteia, Agios Thomas, Pissouri, Paramali, Anogyra and Avdimou Villages.

The village was solely inhabited by Turkish Cypriot residents during the Ottoman Rule until 1891, when Greek Cypriots also began to settle in the village. The population of the village reached a height of 490 registered citizens in 1974.

The Greek Cypriot population slowly began to leave the village during the 1950's and the village reverted back to having solely Turkish Cypriot residents. The Turkish Cypriot population left the village in 1974 due to the conflicts on the island.

Alektora Village is now inhabited by around 20 displaced Greek Cypriot refugee families, who came from 13 different villages in the north of Cyprus. The infrastructure of the village was improved with the arrivals of the new residents, with the village receiving electricity in 1976 and the main road leading into the village being coveredwith asphalt in the same year.

The name of the village, according to legend, came from the Greek word “Alektor”, which means a cock or rooster. Legend states that priests from Paphos were exploring the area to establish new settlements. The priests travelled with supplies of food, which included live animals, such as chickens and a rooster.

The priests came across a large area of land and as it was late in the day, decided to make camp for the evening. The moment the priests began to prepare for the evening, the rooster began to weep, seemingly in joy at finding such a wonderful paradise. The priests took this as an omen and decided we have now found the site for a new settlement. Now in Greek means “Dora” and the combination of Alektor and Dora became known over time as the present name of Alektora Village.

The village is built at a height of 285 metres above sea level which helped the village evolve into becoming a predominantly farming village, cultivating vineyards, carob and olive trees. The village also had large herds of goats.

The main church of Alektora Village is the Agia Anna Church, which was built in 1978 and lies in the centre of the village. The Alektora Village Mosque also lies in the centre of the village, with the Turkish Cypriot cemetrey situated on the outskirts of the village. The old water fountain, which was built during the Ottoman Rule, was where the villagers earlier collected drinking water and washed their clothes, lies just beyong the village centre.

The local village school is no longer in use as the local children travel to Avdimou Village for their education. The old school building has been converted to the Alektora Village Community Centre.

The original village reservoir is no longer in use when the running water from the mountain stopped flowing into it and the village now receives water from a local dam.

Alektora Village residents mainly commute to other local villages, as well as to Limassol and Paphos for employment, with a small number continuing the traditional village customs of farming and the rearing of livestock.

Alektora Village                                                Photo © CyprusExpat.co.uk

Alektora Village                                                Photo © CyprusExpat.co.uk

Alektora Village                                                Photo © CyprusExpat.co.uk

Alektora Village                                                Photo © CyprusExpat.co.uk

Alektora Village                                                Photo © CyprusExpat.co.uk

© CyprusExpat.co.uk

CYPRUS VILLAGES              CYPRUS VILLAGE PHOTOS               CYPRUS VILLAGE FESTIVALS

Bookmark and Share